Gratitude & Tender Mercies of the Lord

My heart is flooded with emotions and thoughts tonight.  For those of you who don't know what's going on, Alec (my youngest) had an allergic reaction two nights ago.  Now, the only thing he's allergic to is nuts (tree nuts specifically).  We thought he had grown out of it until two months ago when we were traveling through Wyoming-in the middle of nowhere-he ate a Brazil nut and had a scary anaphylactic reaction.  We were about an hour and a half from a hospital, but thank the Lord, I had felt prompted that morning to put some Benadryl in my purse.  We gave him some of that until we could get him to the hospital.  Now I carry an EpiPen everywhere.




So, back to two nights ago around 10:00... Alec had a reaction but it was only hives.  Alec is SUPER healthy, never gets sick and beside the "nut" incident is just about as lucky with his health as a boy can be.  Immediately, I'm sad to say, I panicked.  The hives spread fast and I assumed it was going to affect his breathing and everything else, so even though we're near a hospital I was pretty scared.  I gave him some benadryl (a LOT) and stayed up all night watching him to make sure he was okay.  I've heard that when the benadryl wears off that the symptoms can come back, and I wasn't going to take any chances.

Last night, around 10:00 AGAIN, he broke out in hives!  The only thing we can figure out that's consistent is the Honeybaked Ham that we bought two days ago, but on the website it says Allergen free.  I'm starting to wonder...

Anyway, since I was so worried I took him into a 24 hour Urgent care center.  They put him on an oral steroid for 3 days and Benadryl for 3 days.  

Throughout my life there have been times when I've felt so close to the Lord that the only thing I can think to do is fall on my knees, cry and pray to Him.  The last few weeks have gone SO WELL-I've felt so blessed and so happy.  This SHOULD be the time I'm praying to Him the most, but I'm sad to say, I haven't as much as I should.  I do every day, and read my scriptures, but they've been fast.  I haven't been sharing my life with Him, until this happened two nights ago.  Two nights ago I prayed almost ALL night.  I've been praying since and honestly feel so overcome with the spirit and love right now that I can't stop crying.  His spirit is comforting me and I am SO GRATEFUL for a loving Father in Heaven who cares enough about a sinner like me, who makes so many mistakes and is nothing.

As I was praying, I thought about a child.  It's so hard to be a parent sometimes and do the right thing for your child.  It's hard to watch them grow.  Sometimes to help them grow, one way or another, you "threaten" things that they love as a way to help them or get them to do the right thing.  Usually, it's things they love the most.  I don't know how to say this very well...

When I got done praying a few minutes ago, I thought about how much I haven't been praying as much as I needed to lately.  My family means EVERYTHING to me.  I wonder, sometimes, if our Heavenly Father does things like this to help get us back on track.  At this point, Alec is fine.  I'm more of a wreck than he is, but I'm also so much closer to the Lord.  

I wrote a song a few weeks ago that ties into this perfectly.  The last couple of years have been the hardest of my life (that's why I've been enjoying the last few weeks so much-it's felt like a break), and there were times, I'm sad to say, I doubted if the Lord heard my prayers or cared very much about me.  It's almost too sad to write... but now when I look back, I can see that He not only heard them, He carried me every step of the way.  If things didn't work out EXACTLY how they did, then other blessings couldn't have worked out that needed to.  

This song is called "Tender Mercy".  I hope you enjoy it and that you realize how much the Lord loves you.



Comments

Popular Posts